Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 21:44:13 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU is not tar

Chuck Robey wrote:

> It wasn't as standard as GNU tar.  In my own experience, GNU tar, while
> not perfect, was the best tar out there, which is why I was somewhat
> skeptical of you wanting to move to another.  I didn't say it was
> perfect, just the best alternative.

OK, I'm just checking out the options. I didn't like star either. I'll
probably use PAX from now on.
Here's what star's author says about PAX:
      2)      pax / ustar  i.e. SunOS 4.1	(USENIX)

                - Dumps core on every even/odd use.
                - Computes checksums only on the first 500 bytes of the
                  tar header: not conforming to Posix 1003.1 standard.

                Note:   This claims to be a reference implementation for
                        the Posix 1003.1 standard!

Fixable, when compared with his diagnostic of gnu tar.

	Pedro.