Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:28:40 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions ORG <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd 4.8 and the spamassassin 2.6x port

On Jan 23, 2004, at 8:13 PM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Why perl 5.8?  My 5.2 machine is running postfix, perl 5.6.1 and
> amavisd-new
> without any trouble at all.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with perl-5.6.x.

For that matter, I don't feel religious opposition to using the stock
perl as shipped with FreeBSD 4.x, but even earlier versions of
SpamAssassin recommended using 5.6 or later.  SA has a bunch of
dependencies on various perl modules (HTML and MIME-handling stuff,
mostly), and 5.8 obviously comes with a more recent version of such.

There is some dichotomy between upgrading Perl stuff via CPAN versus
via the ports, which is why it might be reasonable for individuals to
decide whether they want to follow the Perl archive directly or wait
for the ports to be tested and updates committed.

--
-Chuck

PS: I don't have the port version of perl installed on most of my
FreeBSD systems, but I do have 5.8 installed on everything which is
running SpamAssassin.  Aside from an issue circa SA-2.6.1_2? or so
where the Subject: header rewriting stopped working until the port was
upgraded again (I think someone else mentioned this, too), SA+perl-5.8
has been working well.  YMMV.