Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:24:09 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        craig@small-pla.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WRITE_DMA failures on 5.3 (but NOT on 4.10)

craig wrote:
>>DanGer wrote:
>>[...]
>>

>>>i have the same issue on brand new 200gb ata maxtor hard drive. i had
>>>the same issue on 5.2.1, but when i upgraded to 5.3 i decided to turn on
>>>ata dma but after 9 days of uptime it froze..no logs, whatever...so i
>>>turned ata dma off for now, and i will stay and watch what will happen..
>>
>>That's very helpful, thank you. The behaviour you describe - machine
>>freezing - is exactly what I have experienced. I'm feeling vaguely
>>optimistic now :-)
>>

>>>but there should be some other fix, because i don't want to keep my
>>>disc in pio mode :/
>>
>>Absolutely. But I guess, since I'm not going to try to produce a fix
>>myself, I can't whinge too loudly. A workaround is what I need right now
>>and I hope you've confirmed that this is one.
>>
>>Peter.
>

> have you had any luck yet?

Not beyond what's said here.

> i've disabled DMA at a bios level, but it seems to make no discernable
> difference.
> and the installation still fails...

I guess you need to disable ata dma before the installation begins. I
can't see how to do that at the loader prompt (hw.ata.ata_dma isn't
listed among the variables you can assign values to at the loader
prompt) but maybe you can change to the holographic shell after getting
into sysinstall and do it there.

> have the IDE drivers changed between 4.10 and 5.3?

I assume so. I just had to set up a storage server with biggish disks
and I used 4.10. There's clearly an issue in 5.3 with at least some disk
drives (Maxtor > 200G crop up a lot when this problem is reported) and
at least some ide controllers.

Peter.

--

the circle squared