Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:31:48 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@supernews.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, "Vanilla I. Shu" <vanilla@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: USE_GTK and USE_GNOME

Jeremy Lea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 07:38:14PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Then at least we should leave `RUN_DEPENDS=panel:blabla' as is, and remove implied
> > gnomecore LIB_DEPENDS from bsd.gnome.mk, because not all GNOME ports really require
> > gnomecore, so if we will merge gnomecore and gnomelibs into single USE_GNOME we
> > will loose information about exactly which ports require gnomecore and which
> > doesn't.
>
> You're thinking the wrong way around this.  Ports require Gnome.  Not
> gnome-libs, gnome-controlcenter or gnome-core.  USE_GNOME just implies
> that a port wants Gnome.  The only ports which need any finer
> granularity within Gnome are those which are part of the base system.
> Whether a port actually uses any of the many libraries or programs
> supplied is not really relevant.  The only reason for using a LIB_DEPENDS
> to pull in gnome-core is that it allows version bumps.

Nope. Gnome is a developed as a component software, so the programmer is free to choose
whether he wants to use full set of features provided by Gnome, or just a small set of it
(for example nice widgets provided by gnomelibs). Therefore, IMHO it is just plain wrong
to tell that any port that uses part of Gnome, no matter how small subset it is, requires
full-blown Gnome metaport to be installed.

-Maxim