Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:59:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      asdfasdfasd asdfds <toddcook41@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCPDUMP bandwidth capability

Hello,

For those who use TCPDUMP, how much bandwidth have you
been able to monitor with it without dropping packets?
I'm considering putting some new servers running BSD
in place purely for sniffing capability, and am quite
content with TCPDUMP, but it won't be a very wise
investment if I start losing packets at, say, 100Mbps.

I've seen it said that BSD is much better for this
type of thing than Linux, but numbers are heard to
come by.  Right the right NICs and processing power,
is line-rate 1Gbps possible?

Thanks,
Todd