Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:45:47 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: temperature acquisition on FreeBSD

> On mardi, ao=FB 5, 2003, at 18:07 Europe/Paris, Jim King wrote:
> =

> > I use one of these:  http://www.spiderplant.com/hlt/index.html  to ru=
n =

 =

 =

> > or how to build your own.
> =

> too bad they don't make them any longer. It's exactly what I'm looking =

> for. Thanx for the link.

I also have a couple of the spiderplant boxes, and 12 probes scattered
around the house.  Over the last 4 or 5 years, I've accumulated more
than 6 million temperature measurements in a MySQL database.

What I would do today is continue to use the Dallas Semiconductor
temperature probe devices and just drive them from the Dallas =

1-wire to RS-232 serial port adapter.  You'll need some additional
software to discover, address, fetch and convert measurements from
each of the probes as compared to the Spiderplant box.  =

As far as software, you can start with /usr/ports/comms/mlan or
/usr/ports/comms/mlan3 to talk to the adapter.

louie