Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:22:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jerry Blancher <flerll@kaschynna.com>
To:        Nicholas Lysaght <nickl@ami.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mail.ami.com.au@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD AND ZIP DRIVE

Kaschynna Communications                    mailto:flerll@kaschynna.com
Internet Presence Provider               mailto:flerll@drachenforge.com
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho                      208.765.9312     208.769.7337
Interactive MU* Hosting                   http://kaschynna.com/mudhost/
Drachen Forge MUD-telnet drachenforge.com 8000-http://drachenforge.com/

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Nicholas Lysaght wrote:

> Hi There
>
> I have an Iomega ZIP-100 drive, which I would like to run under FreeBSD.
> From the docs I'v read, it looks a hard slog.
>
> But a friend who runs Red Hat Linux mailed me to look for an
> "automounter deamon".
>
> Is there such a thing with FreeBSD
>
> Thanks
>
> NICK

I have been running my 1gig Jaz drive on my Freebsd version 2.2.5 with
little problems. The kernel had no problems detecting the SCSI card. The
problems that I found is when the drive goes into sleep mode, and the
kernel tries to detect it while it's in sleep mode, it will not detect the
drive correctly. I suppose that you can change the SCSI wait in the kernel
to wait longer for the jaz to come up to full running operation, but I
found that 2.2.5 takes forever to come up as it is, do I choose not to do
that. I got jazcontrol for FreeBSD to bring up the jaz drive before I'd do
a reboot and it would detect it fine. But that is only required if you
have the jaz drive auto-matically mounted on start-up. Otherwise, you can
just use jazcontrol to bring up the jaz drive before you manually mount
it. The latter is what I used for the most time till recently when my HD
was givin me problems and so I took some load off it by running some of my
aplications off the jaz drive, in which I had to make the jaz mount
automatically at startup. (Side note: access time to the Jaz drive is ALOT
better then it is to my 4gig Quantum Bigfoot[cheap, stock installed piece
of Crud]). If you need the Jazcontrol file, let me know and I'll send you
a copy as I have read reciently that it's not easy to find anymore.
  Jerry Blancher