Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 08:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/14744: tksetathome hangs sysinstall due to lack ofemailaddress

The following reply was made to PR ports/14744; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To: Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:22:32 -0500 (EST)

 Hi Jay,

 On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Jay Krell wrote:

 > Brett, Running the package from pkg_add is probably how you say, just
 > say no. But if you run it from sysinstall (realize, at that point, new
 > user, I didn't know how to run pkg_add other than the initial
 > sysinstall), you get a looping prompt on a different screen, you can't
 > actually respond to it.

 :-)

 I think we're finally getting somewhere.  The setiathome install does seem
 to fail (while using sysinstall) on a running system.  In fact I don't
 even get the looping Jay describes - just sits there waiting for the
 pkg_add to finish.  Note this is on a running system - I tried it once in
 an xterm and once at the console - neither worked and both hung.  I
 haven't dug through but one thought I had is that sysinstall may be trying
 to put the interactive portion on the holographic terminal and this
 doesn't work after the machine is up and running? -shrug-

 I'm trying to install on another small, old machine today so if I get it
 to work (DHCP scan isn't working although it works on Windoze and every
 other machine I've installed recently here) I'll try to add the setiathome
 package via sysinstall during the initial install to see if that works.

 In any case, this PR should probably be closed and another one opened for
 setiathome (and possibly other interactive packages) while being installed
 w/ sysinstall.

 Brett
 Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
 Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
 Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
 Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
 Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *