Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:59:50 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "The Matrix" screensaver, v.0.2

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Kevin Day wrote:

> > but this
> > violation, and
> > >
> > > You can trademark the title "The Matrix", but you can't trademark a common
> > > word "matrix". That's the only word I use for the name of the module. As
> > > Daniel mentioned, they even can't claim that it's their idea.
> > >
> > > So I think I can pretty safely import it.
> > >

> >If we wanted to be legally paranoid we would call it the "letter" saver
> >and add as the comment the words
>
> It's not just the name "Matrix" though. Make a screen saver of the Superman
> 'S' logo, and see how quickly a certain comic book company comes after you.

The "S" logo? We are not dealing with the "S" logo, we are dealing with a
screensaver that displays an ordinary rotation S on the screen.

> :) Making a derivative work based on something that was in a movie probably
> is a copyright violation. Warner Brothers could easily say that you've

Is it derived from the movie? Says who? It rather reminds me of an old
virus that made letters fall on the screen...

> copied an element from their movie (even if it's not the entire movie), and
> even go so far as to get a judge to get any CD-ROM distributors of FreeBSD
> to recall all unsold CD's, and destroy them.
>

> As for the trademark issue, it doesn't have to be a name to be trademarked.
> Logos, effects, and even sounds can be trademarked.

Uhhh.... Depends on where. Sounds can't be trademarked everywhere.

> I'm really not trying to be annoying about things like this, but I already
> had to fight for the ability to be able to use FreeBSD at work, after they
> discovered other copyright/trademark violations in the source tree.. (Trek,
> etc). "If they'll steal things here, how do we know the entire kernel isn't

They aren't violations until the judge says so. If it is not true in the
legalsystem you are in, I suggest moving to another one.

> stolen from somewhere else?" Yes, it's silly logic, but they do sort of
> have a point. We're selling a product with FreeBSD embedded in it. Should
> some copyright/patent holder come up proving that the VM system is his, and
> FreeBSD stole it from him, they could legally force us to recall every
> machine we've sold, and replace it with non-infringing materials. Obviously
> we're not shipping 'trek' on our system, and wouldn't include the matrix
> saver anyway, but I (for completely selfish reasons) would like to keep
> FreeBSD distanced from anything that could possibly be infringing on
> anything, and let you download it from somewhere else if you want it. :)
>
> Kevin

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.