Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:16:40 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Sergey Lyubka <devnull@asitatech.ie>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 02:45:55AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Sergey Lyubka wrote:
> > That question I presume is a sign of a more global need of good book
> > describing FreeBSD internals and philosophy behind it.
>
> Get the project to promise not to outdate the book for 6 months,
> so I can get paid for the time I spend on it in terms of book
> sales, and I'll write one.

Terry's very right here.

I had a hell of a time writing a book about running *stable*; we
change things very quickly here, and it's quite difficult to document.
(Book is due in my hands tomorrow or Saturday, hurrah!)

I was considering editing a book on kernel internals, soliciting
chapters from the various developers.  (They could provide know-how, I
could provide grammar.)  But such a book would take four to six months
to assemble, and three months to physically produce.  Three months
after that, we'd realistically start seeing contributions based upon
that code.

That's one year.  We have a hard time keeping people out of interfaces
for twelve weeks.

> It's just not possible to hit a moving target (or in this case,
> to document code that won't at least sit still at the interfaces).

I'd like to turn this around.

"If the FreeBSD developer community wants a book on the FreeBSD
kernel, they need to commit to maintaining a consistent internal
kernel interface."  If the developer community does this, any number
of people will jump on the book contract like a ravenous wolf on a
obese antelope.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org