Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:37:43 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, adrian@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 05:55:02PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> >
> > > I find it really curious that layered filesystems seem to never be
> > > considered for the jobs they were created for.
> >
> > Filesystem layering is not in very good shape right now, although
> > Eivind has been spotted making good progress.
>
> AFAIK, he is making the existing fs (more specifically nullfs and
> maybe unionfs) work, not correcting any existing flaw in the
> layering code.

I'm fixing bugs in the layering code.  I've also fixed a couple of
bugs in NULLFS itself (seems to be "bit-rot", actually, due to people
doing changes elsewhere without propagating them), but the main part
of the work is on the infrastructure.

Main problems so far:
* v_object is attached to the vnode as a property, instead of having a
  call to get hold of it.  In most cases, this is wrong.
* The locking protocol for vnodes is NOT being followed.  It seems to
  be more or less completely ignored.  (That's a little unfair, but
  there is a whole host of bugs).

My present state is that I have patches that seems to fix the first
issue (but I'm not certain they're correct - they need me to re-review
them, and to test them in an environment where locking actually
works); these are at http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/FixNULL.patch

These give a locked vnode problem if run with the present kernel; I'm
not sure if this is due to bugs in the locking in the kernel or bugs
in the patches.

In order to clean out the locking problems of the kernel (so I can
work on problems that are only in my patches, instead of the
interaction between a buggy kernel and my patches) I also have ported
vnode_if.sh to perl and made it emit locking assertions; this is at
http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/vnode_if_asserts.pl

I'm presently working privately on getting a kernel with locking
assertions enabled to actually boot.  I have not gotten far enough to
be able to mount a read-write filesystem; I don't know how much longer
it will take.  As I said, there seems to be a lot of bugs.

Eivind.