Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:30:14 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@aa.net>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why anti-trust law?

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu> writes:
>
>>If
>>you reach a point where you have dominance (read: monopoly) in an area,
>>then a couple of things kick in that have some do with economics and a lot
>>to do with culture.

>>One of those areas is the
>>condition of where a company has reached a monopoly in the market.
>>

> IIRC, the Feds claim to permit monopoly power, but take action when they
> determine that it has been used past some threshold level of detriment
> to the Public Good, usually having to do with competition and the free
> enterpise of other dealers in the market.

	Which is why I tried it make my comments read as being the general case
(I think I even threw in the word general a few times).  It's a general
feeling that monopolies are bad, but this is not always the case.  In
some situations the goverment actually legalizes and enforces a monopoly
condition for some markets.

	I was trying to demonstrate that you need a sample size of greater than
one to really come up with the different reasons why anti-trust laws are
still needed.

-Joseph