Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:28:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is not working....

--- C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net> wrote:
> When you type the full path to to the program, does
> it start?
>
> e.g. # /usr/X11R6/bin/xxx  ?
>
> I didn't see where you answered that.

Sorry, I forgot to say that that was not working
before either...but I have it working now. But...I am
now having problems getting the programs to run
correctly. For instance...
I just deinstalled and reinstalled 2 programs,
staroffice 5.2 and Eterm for a test. I am able to run
S.O. as a user that previously had the program setup,
because there are setup files located in the home
directory after setup that point to the right places.
But, when I try to add a new user and run it (even by
entering the full path) I get an error...it can't open
up some libraries.
In Eterm, I get some more wierd behavior. If I run it
as root, it can be called up by "Eterm" and it runs
perfectly. As a regular user, I have to type the
complete path, /usr/X11R6/bin/Eterm (which *is* in my
path) or else I get "command not found" errors. Also,
when I do start it up, it is not able to load graphics
files used for backgrounds, menus, etc. I checked the
permissions on the folders containing these
images...the were read-only for everyone, including
root. I am pretty much at a loss at this point. I am
seriously thinking about just reinstalling. If I don't
get it figured out by tomorrow, I probably will. I
know this is not the BSD-way, but...well, I am not
familiar enough with it yet to know how to fix it and
do not know anyone other than the list that can help.
Thanks for everyone's help...any other ideas are
appreciated, I am out of them at this point....

Thomas