Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 01:19:14 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        performance@freebsd.org, Steve Hodgson <steve@stevehodgson.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: (Another) simple benchmark

Ivan Voras wrote:

> Michael Vince wrote:
>
>> Interesting that the linux you are claiming to use would use prefork
>> Apache as default, while this is the default on FreeBSD I would think
>> the threaded worker would be used on a lot of linux dists, since they
>> don't have the option to easily rebuild it.
>

> "Professional" Linux distributions such as RedHat Enterprise Linux &
> Debian have avoided threaded apache for a long time. One of the reasons
> for this is that PHP doesn't work well with threaded server. Now, most
> have two separate packages - apache-preforked and apache-threaded and
> users can pick one (though preforked is still the default).

What I am trying to say here is you are expecting good performance out
of things like CGI/PHP and prefork,
I don't think anyone should see these types of systems under that light,
they are for convenience and cheap and reliable hosting.
PHP is 'deliberately' made slow (magnitudes slow) to encourage Zend
optimizer module installs which to give magnitudes more performance, and
then there is the sales on their 300% performance increase giving Zend
Encoder suite.  PHP have created a good open source business model, but
I don't think its really worthy of the word professional.

The average prefork httpd daemon with PHP takes 14megs of memory, I
don't think any one can argue that serving 2,000 clients at the same
time is feasible considering it would need a close 28gigs of ram, to
hold that many httpd daemons on a "Professional" linux server.
I don't see it as a any kind of "professional" server, its more just a
dive for pleasing the masses just like PHP and CGI to fit the market.

To get the amount of connections you are after with 'ab' in real world
situations would insane amounts of ram because the connections would
take a long longer to complete over the Internet considering all the
dialup and low end adsl connections out there, and web clients would be
considering it might be a professional solution using PHP it would
probably be long page loads.

Configuring a Apache server that has 'ready' 5 http daemons when its
really expecting to do 100,000 requests and handle huge amounts of
simultaneous connections just doesn't seem the right way to approach
such setups and benchmark methods.

Mike