Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:28:03 -0600
From:      David Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        Tom Limoncelli <tal@whatexit.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Superstitious users and the FreeBSD logo

--Apple-Mail=_1240E4BA-45CE-40BD-ADDB-07ACB64428B5

On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:16 AM, Tom Limoncelli wrote:

> This is yet another reason why it was brilliant for Linux to have a
> Penguin as their logo.  Up until then all Unix imagery was
> counter-productive to wide adoption: It was mostly wizards (a reminder
> that Unix is difficult to use and only understood by few) or devils
> (which is just plain confusing to the 99.99% of the planet that hasn't
> taken Operating Systems 101 in college).
>=20
> This is not a new thing.  This story is probably older than a lot of
> people on this mailing list:
> http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/daemon.html
>=20
> (and I heard Laura tell the story once in person)
>=20
> Tom
> P.S. Speaking of being old.... next week is the 25th Usenix LISA
> conference.  Who's coming to Boston?  Will there be a BSD BoF?

As one that has been stopped in a Lowes by a man in an electric =
wheelchair asking if I worshiped the devil do to the FreeBSD shirt I was =
wearing, pull it.  The logo maps to many religious people as being =
demonic.  Saying that, the newer higher tech logo does not seem to bring =
out the same association.

If you do wish to evangelize FreeBSD in this case, I second the =
suggestion of just using the image with the word FreeBSD in it.  Maybe =
somebody can work up some images with the newer logo on it and one or =
two with just the text to give people a little more flexibility for =
these types of situations.

--
DaveD

--Apple-Mail=_1240E4BA-45CE-40BD-ADDB-07ACB64428B5--