Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:08:44 -0800 ()
From:      "Erik A. Pearson" <epearson@olac.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Randall Raemon <delta1@netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Adaptec 1542CP

With encouragement from you and others, I persisted and got the card to
work, but the secret is elusive and occurred after turning off ROM and
video shadowing in the system bios and a few other options on the 1542CP
that are DOS specific, and attemting the installation a few more times.
However, after installation the card is failing again!

The CDROM drive stops and starts every 10 seconds or so when FreeBSD is
trying to access it.

Any further tips? Other than this, the installation was a dream and the
system is up and running smoothly.

System is:
  386-40, no math coprocessor
  8M RAM