Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:47:42 +0100
From:      "n j" <nino80@gmail.com>
To:        "chris@chrismaness.com" <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update and mergemaster

>  Who is working on FreeBSD update?  Maybe I can make a feature request.

Or, even better, make a patch - FreeBSD is open source, everyone can work on it!

Sorry, couldn't resist :-). I know the above remark is generally not
very helpful for an average user; however, I was surprised to find out
that the freebsd-update(8) was actually a shell script - i.e.
modifying it doesn't require one to be a hard-core C hacker.

freebsd-update(8) is part of the base system and is, as such, in the
source tree that is freely available from the CVS repository
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/freebsd-update/).
Being a shell script also means you can go directly to
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update and edit it in-place.

The author, to the best of my knowledge, is Colin Percival, the
current FreeBSD security officer
(http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html#sec).

Regards,
--