Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:27:42 -0600
From:      Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
To:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Setting up a print-server

> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 13:15:59 -0600
> Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net> wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>> I have the task of setting up a FreeBSD box as a print-server for the la=
>> here at home.
>> I've used FreeBSD for quite a while, but am currently just a little rust=
y.
>> I was hoping the list members could help me with planning a strategy, an=
>> possibly point me to some resources for help.  I have my copies of The
>> Handbook and FreeBSD Unleashed at my side.  :-)
>>=20
>> The printers are:
>> HP1100 LaserJet (non-postscript, parallel only)
>> Epson Stylus C86 (postscript, USB only)
>>=20
>> Here is my current list of requirements:
>> My daughter's WinXP Pro SP2 box must be able to print to either printer.
>>=20
>> My Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3 box must be able to print to either printer.
>>=20
>> (I may not know what I'm talking about here, but) I would prefer IP prin=
ting
>> as the only means of serving the printers, rather than Samba for serving=
>> Windows, AND CUPS or something else for serving to OS X.
>>=20
>> The FreeBSD machine is quite capable hardware-wise of doing all this.
>> I have a copy of 4.11-RELEASE, but will be glad to install whatever vers=
ion
>> makes it easiest to do what I need.
>>=20
>> Any help =3D appreciation!
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Thanks,
>> Charles=A0
>> google.com/bds=20
>=20
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/02/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I now have the both printers set up and can print to them from FreeBSD.
Problem is, I can't print to them from the Mac.

The error is always, "Printer HP1100 is busy, trying again in 30 seconds."
I take that to mean the server isn't responding.

Is there a command I can run from the Mac that will tell me if the FreeBSD
box is accepting connections to the printers?

Might there be something I haven't enabled on FreeBSD to allow me to print
across the network?