Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:26:45 -0500
From:      Malcolm G Boff <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Behaviour of 'su'

As I normally work on an AIX system I was somewhat surprised when testing
on FreeBSD on my PC (version 2.2.2) the behaviour of 'su' and would like
some feedback.

There is a user 'abc' (uid 1000) with a group of 20 (gid). As root I 'su'
the user ('su - abc') and then 'touch /tmp/test' and ls -al shows the file
permissions to be 'rw-r--r-- abc wheel' whereas I would have expected
'rw-r--r-- abc staff'. Is this correct and if so why ?

Please respond to my email address as I am not in the forum.

Malcolm G. Boff
Sylmex Ltd.