| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
The mistake your making, IMHO, is that an IX connected eBGP FreeBSD
router _SHOULD NOT_ be doing ANYTHING other than BGP on the IX
connected interface, and anything like DNS and outbound SMTP should be
going inward on the AS, not outward to the internet.

I must ask why your using 8.8.8.8 and not your own nameservers?
Why would you want or even allow outbound SMTP from such a
critical infustructure point go out over the unwashed internet?

One of the reasons for using the non-routable IP on IX connected
eBGP routers is to minimize the exposure footprint, and what you
seem to be doing is defeating that minimization by wanting to
expose another IP on that very box to the public internet.

> I assume that there is a group of BGP enthusiasts using FreeBSD lurking
> on freebsd-net.  What have you done to solve this problem?

I only trust AS internal objects from my eBGP routers,
they have no need to speak to the unwashed internet other
than to IX peers.

> I'd also love to hear other tips for running BGP on FreeBSD.

Lock it down as tight as you can if your IX connected.
I dont even allow inbound BGP connection setup, all eBGP
sessions have to be initiated by my router.

ipfw -a list 20179
20179     23854      1131316 deny log tcp from any to any 179

This is at an ISP peer, not an IX, so not a private IX IP range,
but 23854 attempts to connect to my bgp.