Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:51:26 +0100
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Why not a default number of pings?

I've been hit by a "forgotten ping" again.

I still do not see a reason for not having a default number of pings, =
instead of infinite.
The only reason I've seen is "It's always been so".

Even if a default of 4 pings is not acceptable, because windows does it =
that way, why not a large default then?

If somebody _really_ want to ping forever, let them use -t0, and defend =
the rest of us from our blunders of forgetting a ping, keeping the line =
open infinitely.

How about a MAX_PING=3D3600 in make.conf or so?

I've supplied patches earlier, but they've been rejected.

Leif