Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:40:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
To:        Christopher Michaels - SSG <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us, kstewart@3-cities.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: natd and MS Network Neighborhood

Thanks for the quick replies.  I've been trying to resurrect my laptop
from an unrelated disk problem, but I didn't want to leave your
questions/suggestions ignored.

According to Christopher Michaels - SSG (February 12, 1999):
| #1) are you on an NT network or are you using other samba servers, or
| non-of-the-above?

I *believe* the MS network has 1 samba server and no NT servers.

| #2) is the FBSD machine the master browser? (probably not)

No.

| #3) is the laptop on the same subnet as the FreeBSD machine?

The FreeBSD machine has two ethernet ports: 1 on the department
subnet (de0), the other (ed0) on my office subnet (just the laptop, on
a private network:

de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 128.173.173.159 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 128.173.175.255
        ether 00:00:f8:07:d4:a0
        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
           10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.173.1 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 192.168.175.255
        ether 02:60:8c:a6:bd:57

| #3a) is the laptop on the same subnet as the rest of the network? (probably
| not)

No.

| #4) can you manually connect to a ms machine on your network?  e.g. open up
| explorer and go to \\SAMBA\SHARE (please type something real here).

The laptop is (more or less) dead at the moment; I don't think this
was possible.

And,

According to Christopher Michaels - SSG (February 12, 1999):
| 	HENCE.. the question, is he on an NT network? AND.. what version of
| samba is he running?

NT network? No.  Samba:

neale [rdmurphy]% /usr/sbin/pkg_info -a -c | grep Information | grep samba
Information for samba-1.9.18.8:

According to Kent Stewart (February 12, 1999):
| I have also used the browser across switches and routers. You may have to
| set your routers and etc. to pass the MS stuff. You also need a master
| brower (NT preferred) in each segment.

What MS stuff do I have to pass on?  I assume that the issue is
whether or not the FreeBSD natd firewall passes this stuff on (?).
I'll check as to whether or not there's something in samba (or a newer
version of same) that will let me look across subnets.

Thanks much.

Russ Murphy