Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:41:12 EST
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.5R Printing questions

Hi,

This is a dump question which I need help with after reading through
the handbook.

In our network, we have an NT server (sigh ...) that serves as the
print server for 3 printers: HP5Si, HP4MP, HP1600C and all of the
printers have NIC and IP address.

I want to set up my FreeBSD 2.2.5R to print to those printers.
Preferably I would want to use the NT as a remote print server and
specify it in printcap as :rm. Tried that but I always get this
message:

waiting for nt.domain to come up

where nt.domain is the hostname of the NT.

Alternativelty, I can use netprint (Perl script) to print directly to
port 515 of those printers. But, I am concerned with interfering the
spooling mechanism currently managed by the NT server. I wonder if I
simply use netprint, would I accidentally interfere with job that is
sent for printing by the NT server ??

Also, does anyone know of capability of those printers if we can probe
them for status so that if the printer is currently busy, then the
script would hold back a while and retry later, which means I would
have to modify netprint to do that.

Alternatively, if someone has better suggestions, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

M.C Wong