Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:48:19 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIO "lost interrupt" status in current?

  > I'm actually pretty sure it happens even without X11 live. This worries m
 e!
  > changing the modem serial speed down from 57600 through 33600 to 19200 ma
 de
  > no difference.  This also worries me.

  If the speed isn't being set down, then somehow interrupts are being
  turned off for a very long time, possibly by another device driver, or
  possibly you have bad hardware.

If interrupts were off, wouldn't I see other things like mice freezes or
X-repaint problems?

I'd go with either of these actually. Any suggestions for debug methods?

(for instance, would swapping the sio used for mouse and modem make sense?
 or do they use common paths in the motherboard such that a fault in serial
 is going to kill both of them..)

I would *love* this to turn out to be hardware!

cheers
	-George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072