Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:52:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        arnej@math.ntnu.no (Arne H. Juul)
Cc:        jason@dstc.edu.au, freebsd-maintainers@FreeBSD.ORG, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new dist area ?

<apologies for the ranting and raving in advance.>

> FreeBSD-current -> branches/-current

personally i think it's a mistake to have a directory name like
-current, but i'm not a maintainer..

> There are a couple of things I don't understand about the first of
> these, though.  According to the README it's supposed to contain
> sources, and there's a supfile.cvsup which could be used to get the
> same sources via cvsup.  But there are some directories which doesn't
> look like sources (and can I get them via cvsup at all?)
>  XF86332 - binaries?
>  XF86333 - binaries?
>  commerce - binaries?
>  xperimnt - packed sources? misc stuff?
>
> If these aren't part of a CVS branch, it's somewhat counter-intuitive
> having them in branches/-current.  At least the README file needs to
> be updated to explain what they are and why they're here (like: these
> are here for historical reasons :-)

i'm getting a little frustated at changes with no warnings.  am i not
on a list somewhere where perhaps someone is sending out all the
changes that are occuring ?   the temptation is getting really strong
to give up trying to be a complete mirror and simply mirror one release,
one set of packages and make the rest someone elses problem.

apart from just the general userbase (who complain to US that our site
is incomplete and not up to date and aren't interested in explanations
that ftp.freebsd.org just decided to move 1-2G around), our downstream
mirrors don't tend to be terribly impressed when they are relying on
us to be up to date and stable.

can one of the archive maintainers please post an update on what has
happened, what they plan to happen and include things like du usage
of trees and planned further disk usage ?  i'd also like to understand
how packages are put into the ports tree.  Are they all built from
scratch and just populated into there (in which case i better give
up trying to even bother mirroring packages, as i'd have to fetch
1G everytime it's rebuilt) ?

i'm using a combination of `mirror' (fmirror doesn't compile yet on
solaris 2.6.. looking into it. sigh) and CVSup and one or both would
appear to be broken currently by structural changes.

are hard links used extensively in the archive ?  another case for
either using rsyncd which allows your downstream mirrors to save
on disk by mirroring hardlinks, or for running nicolai langfeldt's
(sp?) md5 checksum hard linking space saver.

-jason
--
 jason andrade       dstc pty ltd               jason@dstc.edu.au
 senior sysadmin     level 7, GPS Building 78   i just wanna be