Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:11:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        ljohnston@cyberworld.demon.co.uk (Lee Johnston)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: passwd compatibility

I've integrated some FreeBSD boxes into my solaris network. In do this,
I wrote a couple of scripts, sol2tofbsd (which shuffles and deals Solaris'
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow combination in FreeBSD's /etc/master.passwd then
runs pwd_mkdb to create the other 3 files), and autohtoamd (which frobs the
/etc/auto_home file in to an amd map).

Drop me a line if you're interested.

In a previous message, Lee Johnston said:
> FreeBSD uses /etc/master.passwd to store crypted passwords and /etc/passwd
> to store a 'fake' passwd file. I don't know if Solaris supports this
> method. I think I remember a way of making the FBSD box add the crypted
> passwords to an exported passwd file over NIS. I saw this in the
> /var/yp/Makefile, and if DES is on both machines in theory they should
> work!
>
> Regards, Lee.
>
> >On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Al Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know if the freebsd passwd and shadow files are compatible
> >> with Solaris?  I need to sync a couple of machines for fallback service
> >> and I'm getting tired of my Sun boxes reliability, or lack thereof.
> >
> >Ugh, I don't know.  You definitely need DES on both systems and hopefully
> >that will pick up the passwords.
> >
> >> Is this a good place for NIS+ ???
> >
> >Just Straight NIS.
> >
> >Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> >Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> >http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Well, you never told me I couldn't do that.
--from "Excuses, Excuses" *the* compendium of excuses by Leigh W. Rutledge