Date:      Wed, 20 May 2015 21:30:03 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        John Johnstone <jjohnstone@tridentusa.com>
Cc:        Jeffry Killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freetype in ports?

On Wed, 20 May 2015 15:16:11 -0400, John Johnstone wrote:
> On 5/20/15 2:17 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> > I would use unix find comand as follows:
> >
> > find /usr/ports -name \*freetype\*
> >
> > But the suggestion by Mr. Polytropon below is much better (as it doesn't
> > care about case to the contrary to find command above...
>
> How about -iname?

Also possible, but it will find _any_ file (or even directory)
which contains the search pattern. This may be a lot, whereas
the _question_ you want answered is: Where does <something> live
within the ports tree? For this question, I think using "make search"
is the more convenient method, especially because of its output:
Whereas find will list (correctly) found files and directories,
"make search" will give you the port directory and additional
information. In my opinion, this is easier to read.

By the way, you can turn

	# cd /usr/src
	# make search name="freetype"

into

	# make -C /usr/ports search name="freetype"

and create a shell alias, if you need this more often. :-)

Even better: If you intend to search for some word(s) in the
ports description, use key= instead of name= to search for
keywords.

Finally allow me to repeat "man 7 ports" which lists several
other search "queries".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany