Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 19:27:22 +1596657 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        davidg@root.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stabikity/Usability of 2.0.5R

> because 2.0.5R simply will not install (and neither will subsequent
> snapshots).
>
> The hardware in question is running WD 1007 ESDI controllers.  The
> "perfect media" jumper is off.
>
> The Install wants to use a translated geometry (the real geometry
> is 1224/15/35) of something like xxx/15/51.

What a coincidence. I already started to feel stupid. I have a
386/25 here with a WD1007 and a 1224/15/35 drive (a ~300Mb
micropolis). Same problems.. I'm kinda glad it also bit you ;-)

> The amusing thing is that when it scans for bad blocks (the drive
> has to have bad block replacement enables in BSD), it gets an error
> on every 35th scan.  I would suspect something wierd with the disk,
> but 1.1.5.1 sails right on.  So it's clearly in the disklabel stuff.

Yep, same here. I once had 1.1.5. on this system and that worked
OK. Are you able to select a non-translated drive using the WD1007
BIOS? Mine doesn't. Disabling the BIOS of the WD and selecting the
untranslated geometry in the system BIOS also gives me the
n * 35 badblocks.

> Interestingly, the "every 35th try" error on the scan seems to
> indicate (to me, at least) that the drive is not being accessed
> linearly; apparently the adjacency of sectors is being miscalculated
> and it's skipping all over the disk.  There was a complaint about
> large amounts of drive noise about a month ago that was never very
> well explained -- possibly it's this?

I have a faint recollection that I had to tell 1.1.5. to use 34
sectors (when the drive actually has 35) before it wanted to install.
Telling 2.05R to use 34 does not work.

> Anyone else have a machine with a WD1007 that they installed instead
> of upgraded from an existing (non-2.0.5R: working) installation?

As you know by now it fails for me. I might retry 1.1.5 on it just
to see.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@cs.weber.edu

		Wilko