Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:48:41 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Kirill Ponomarew <krion@voodoo.oberon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/pcre and WITH_UTF8

--nextPart1451980.RGKfgsOUqr

On Monday, 21. February 2005 19:16, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:44:47PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > > Yes, you're right, since there are exponentially many combinations of
> > > options, creating slave ports is not the right way.
> > > We probably need a mechanism [...]
> >
> > Don't overengineer. Slave ports pretty much *are* the right way to deal
> > with this sort of situation - which is that *some* option is too
> > controverse to be either default off or default on. This does not at all
> > imply that you need to translate *every* option there is (or could be
> > imagined) into a slave port.
>
> It depends on what you want to do.=20

Right. Creating slave ports is something you do out of necessity, not becau=
se=20
you can.

> I could split net/gnunet into:=20
> gnunet-gdbm, gnunet-mysql, gnunet-tdb, gnunet-bdb3, gnunet-sqlite,
> gnunet-ipv6, gnunet-guile, hence we get 7 slave ports and one master
> port.

That would certainly be better than the current status quo, which makes the=
=20
gnunet package rather bare-bones - at least you should convert it to OPTION=
S=20
and default them to on. However, you wouldn't need to bother with a=20
gnunet-ipv6 port - even the option is rather gratuitous.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org