Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:00:08 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        gecko <gecko@freebsd.org>, Beat Gaetzi <beat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request for help: OpenJDK6 IcedTea Java plugin

On Thursday 09 September 2010 12:40 pm, Beat Gaetzi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to a lot of user request I've started working on a port for the
> OpenJDK6 IcedTea Java plugin which works with Firefox 3.6. As I
> never used the Java plugin and I'm not very experienced in the Java
> world I need some help.
>
> Some parts of the port are taken from java/openjdk6 and pkgsrc. The
> shar file of the current port is available here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~beat/patches/icedtea6-plugin.shar
>
> I've tested the port on FreeBSD 8.1 amd64 and i386. The plugin was
> recognized after creating a symlink in ~/.mozilla/plugins/:
> # ln -s /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/IcedTeaPlugin.so
> ~/.mozilla/plugins/
>
> Screenshot of about:plugins in Firefox 3.6:
> http://tmp.chruetertee.ch/firefox-icedtea.png
>
> When I tried to watch a Java applet the browser crashed:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to
> access class sun.applet.AppletMessageHandler from class
> sun.applet.PluginAppletViewer
>         at
> sun.applet.PluginAppletViewer.<clinit>(PluginAppletViewer.java:2163
>) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> Method)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstru
>ctorAccessorImpl.java:57) at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Delegatin
>gConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) at
> java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:532) at
> java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:372)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:325)
>         at
> sun.applet.PluginStreamHandler.<init>(PluginStreamHandler.java:85)
>         at sun.applet.PluginMain.connect(PluginMain.java:155)
>         at sun.applet.PluginMain.<init>(PluginMain.java:137)
>         at sun.applet.PluginMain.main(PluginMain.java:116)
>
> So I copied the content of
> www/icedtea6-plugin/work/icedtea6-1.8/liveconnect to
> /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/ (This step isn't done by the port
> yet as I don't know if this is the correct location) set the
> CLASSPATH environment variable but it crashed again:
>
> # mv /usr/ports/www/icedtea6-plugin/work/icedtea6-1.8/liveconnect/*
> /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/
> # setenv CLASSPATH /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/
> # firefox3
> openjdk version "1.6.0"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b20)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 17.0-b16, mixed mode)
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to
> access class sun.applet.AppletMessageHandler from class
> sun.applet.PluginAppletViewer
>         at
> sun.applet.PluginAppletViewer.<clinit>(PluginAppletViewer.java:2163
>) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> Method)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstru
> [...]

Wow, I was working on it, too.  And I was going to announce it today
when I am done cleaning up the ports. :-) You can see some
screenshots of mine from here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/icedtea/screenshots/

FYI, you have to apply few patches from IcedTea6 distribution, i.e.,
patches/extensions/*.patch.  Specifically, you have to patch Java
Runtime to make NetX working with OpenJDK6.  Please see netx.patch.

Jung-uk Kim