Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:38:43 +0000
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help with amd!!!!!

--------
Lars Koeller wrote in message ID
<199602161955.UAA22580@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>:
>       I've a really  simple problem, but  amd (automount daemon) is a mess,
>    surely  only why   I don't understand  the  docs.   I want to  mount  an
>    ufs/msdos floppy automatically by amd when I enter a directory ~/ufs_fd0
>    ~/dos_fd0 (I think  and automatic detection  of the file system  type by
>    amd is impossible, so we need 2 directories) but I can't fit the correct
>    amd config file together.  Is this possible, and when  how can I get the
>    desired results?   How  can  I kill amd  without  leaving  a mount point
>    amd:24253 back in the mount  tab when amd is lost  in space (no response
>    to an kill -TERM 24253!)?

Here is what I used to auto-mount my CDROM drive in /etc/amd.map:

/defaults	type:=program
cdrom		mount:="/sbin/mount mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a ${path}";unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /dev/cd0a"

2 points:

1) You can't do what you want. AMD works by having a special directory
   which it monitors all activity in. It could be your home directory,
   but I wouldn't recommend it! For various reasons, I used `/host'
   (mainly that's what I use at work for doing NFS AMD operations)

2) I have no idea if it auto-unmounts properly :-(

To unmount, I do:

umount /host
kill {amd_pid}

Probably not the right way, but it works.

Gary

P.S. Sorry, I can't remember what I command line arguments I invoked
     AMD with :-(