Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2020 09:46:44 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 22:24, Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:

> Why so short End-Of-Life? Why so many fast and short releases? What for?
>
> Why pushing problems to production? What was wrong with having one
> well tested stable system for a long time?

I really don't understand this - FreeBSD 12 is supported for 5 years.
12.0 was released at the end of 2018. I've heard many complaints that
minor releases from stable branches are not frequent enough.

> 12.0 was a problematic release. 12.1 brings even more problems.

The major issue with 12.1 is a problem with the Intel graphics kernel
module, and fixing that was held up by both 12.0 and 12.1 being
supported. The problem will automatically resolve once 12.0 is no
longer supported.

(Yes, I wish we were able to address this issue in a way other than
waiting for 12.0's EOL, but nobody in the FreeBSD development
community was able to find the time to do so.)