Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:36:49 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
To:        Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: uma_zcreate and number of items to create

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

* Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch> wrote:
> Before starting to hack it, I would like to know what you think about
> it. Do you find it useful or not?

I was thinking about this as well, because my TTY hackery could also use
this to preallocate cblocks to store characters from interrupts, but
then you could also just keep a free list to store them. You need to
allocate them anyway, so the space is already wasted.

Using your own per-{device,object,etc} free list should even be faster,
because uma probably has some per-zone spinlock, while you may not need
the locking in your specific situation (i.e. another lock already
protects it).

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/