Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:27:25 +0100
From:      Bjarne Blichfeldt <bbl@dk.damgaard.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Stable (E-mail)" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Trouble with de0, hubs and ISDN

At home I have installed an Alpha Personal workstation 500au, which
connects to a HUB which again connects to an 3com officeconnect to ISDN.

de0 jumps up and down all the time, saying somthing like: de0 down, check
cable.
When the same machine is installed at work, there seems to be no problems.

When checking the code in if_de.c, it seems the the driver uses the traffic
on the interface to determine wether the interface is up or down.

Since the machine at times is the only machine on the net,(the ISDN closes
between traffic), the netcard jumps up and down.

That makes it very difficult to work over isdn lines. When I want to
initiate
a connection, it takes a loooooong time to establish. When I have something
running on the remote systems, and are waiting for output, the interface
just
decides that the cable is gone, and stops listening.

Are there any way , other than changing the driver, to change that behaviour
?

Regards,
Bjarne Blichfeldt