Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:18:05 +0200
From:      Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "tput clear"/vi breakage on console

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 01:58:31PM -0700, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems "tput clear" on console wipes out entire screen without
> even showing a shell prompt. The only way I get characters is to
> enter "enter" key. I'm under the impression that the first line of
> console output is not displayed at all after "tput clear" command.
> Another thing I noticed is vi also does not show the first line
> of a file. Any idea?

Seems to work fine for me both in xterm and in the text console.

~> uname -a
FreeBSD wep4035 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r212998: Wed Sep 22 16:28:09 CEST 2010     root@wep4035:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

[In xterm]
~> locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_ALL=

[In text console]
# locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

The 'cl' capability from the xterm session (part of TERMCAP):
cl=\E[H\E[2J

HTH,
Alexey.