Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:21:07 -0700
From:      kachun@zippo.com (Kachun Lee)
To:        scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HACKERS] innd remalloc failure *after* setting MEMDSIZ

In article <5to7ek$c4m@news.pathlink.com>, you say...

>On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>>

>> > Hi...
>> >
>> >     After going through "the archives", and finding the suggestion of
increasing
>> > MEMDSIZ to 256Meg, and recompiling/running the new kernel...I'm still
getting
>> > the remalloc 'crash' with innd.
>> >
>> >     The kernel is 2.2.2-RELEASE, innd is 1.6b3...I have an 'unlimit' at
the
>> > beginning of ~news/etc/rc.news...
>>
>> What does a ulimit -a run from rc.news after your unlimit say?
>>
>> It should be MAXDSIZ; was the just a typo, or did you set the wrong thing?
>
>        typo :(  Just checked, and it was MAXDSIZ that I sent...
>
>> What does the inn log report?
>
>        Just the remalloc() error, which varies for each time it happens...
>

>Marc G. Fournier
>Systems Administrator @ hub.org
>primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

remalloc error is usually cause by the channel feed processes (the Tc in the
newsfeeds file) not keeping up. The common ones are overchan, overview,
nntplink and innfeed. Let your innd run for several hours and do a 'ctlinnd
flush <feed-name>' on each of your Tc feeds, and see if any one writes a
backlog file in your out.going directory.