Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:14:35 -0800
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        freeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modifying a port and keeping the mods across updates

Greetings again. I have a two-part question that may be a ports FAQ,
but I couldn't find such a beast.

(1) For a particular port, I need to change the the MAKE_ENV to make
it build the way I want. What is the proper way to do this that will
live beyond the next time I do a cvsup? That is, editing the Makefile
works just fine, but I want something that will live if the Makefile
gets reverted.

(2) For a particular port, I need to patch a particular source file.
This is a patch that will probably be in a future release. Same
question as above: what's the proper way to do this that will live
beyond the next cvsup? I know how to use 'patch' to apply patches,
but not yet to create them.

--Paul Hoffman