Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:17:42 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What'll be broken with Gnome 1.4?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 06:44:43AM -0400, Erik Rothwell wrote:
> Due to the effort required to remove all of Gnome & Gnome apps before
> installing the new 1.4 port (I went through that with X... oh man.), I'm
> holding off until I install a fresh system (might as well ;) always good
> to start fresh every now and again)... but until then, I'm wondering --
> what will the inclusion of Gnome 1.4 break... I mean, if I retain 1.2,
> will Gnome apps try to grab Gnome 1.4 as a dependency when I go to
> update, say, gnomeicu or gnomemc?

Yes.  This is why there has been a (reasonably) extensive public
testing period of GNOME 1.4 before I commit it to the tree, so that
brave(r) souls can test this stuff on workstations other than mine,
using features that I probably don't use.

Post-commit date, I expect there to be a rush of PRs and other
questions asking why GNOME-related port xyz starts pulling in a
whole bunch of new GNOME stuff.a

I had hoped to be able to get GNOME 1.4 into 4.3-RELEASE, which would
have solved a considerable number of problems.  However, due to the
complexity of the port change, and the time available, I decided to
hold off since a broken GNOME on a RELEASE CD would be a BadThing[tm].

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/