Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 20:54:57 -0500
From:      rjb@intac.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't get FreeBSD 2.0 to see my ethernet card.

I've just installed FreeBSD 2.0 on my 33Mhz 486 Gatewary box. Everything is
running fine *except* I can't seem to get the OS to see my 3com 3c503 card.
I read the release notes, noted FreeBSD FAQ #8.4 and went out and got the
O'Reilly book on BSD. From what I read my /etc/netstart file handles the
ifconfig'ing for me, assumming the autoconfigure probe sees an interface
that's supported and present. During the initial boot phase I see 'ed0 not
found at 0x280' and 'ed1 not found at 0x300'. I've check my kernel
configuration file and the pseudo-device ether is definitely set along with
'ed0' and 'ed1'. Coming from a System V background, this handling of the
network interface is somewhat baffling 8-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bob