Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:14:34 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions list <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apsfilter printing through samba

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 09:31:02PM -0600, David Banning wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 03:31:46PM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get printing going on a FreeBSD -stable box to a
> > Windows XP box. I set up apsfilter and the test page prints fine but
> > when I print through lpr nothing actually prints. The job shows up
> > in the lpd print queue and then disappears as the job is supposedly
> > finished, but nothing comes out of the printer.
> >
> > I have apsfilter 7.2.2 and FreeBSD -stable as of March 28,
> > 2002. Samba is working fine otherwise and printing to a locally
> > attached printer worked fine. It is just printing through
> > samba. Strange that the test page worked though.
>
> When you print from XP what port did you have it send to?  The unix
> box shows up in the networks on XP?  Did you configure your XP printer
> for the printer you have on your unix box?

Maybe I was not clear. The printer is attached to the XP machine. It is
set to be shared and the permissions are such that everyone can print to
it. I want to print TO this printer FROM the FreeBSD machine. Samba is
installed, set up, and working fine on the FreeBSD machine. I can print
the test page in the apsfilter setup program; this is going from the
FreeBSD box through samba, to the Win XP machine, and on to the printer.
The setup program is catting the test job through smbclient and not
using lpd. So everything at that point appears to be okay. However, when
I use lpr to submit a print job to the print queue for this printer, set
up by apsfilter, the job gets submitted, lpd does its' thing but nothing
prints.

I can print to a printer connected to the FreeBSD box just fine but I
need to be able to print to the printer connected to the XP machine.

My feeling is there is something wrong in the apsfilter script that
is causing this as it tries to determine the print method. I say this
because the test job prints fine.

Thank you.

--
Glenn Johnson