Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:27:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Troll Humor

On 13-Dec-01 Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>> This is not hyperbole; I could reflect your
>> entire "counterargument" back to you based on
>> your statements about UNIX.
>
> No need.  Everything I've said is already archived online.

Translation: "Crap, I can't think of anything."

>> This is not true.
>
> It is completely true.  There is nothing unique about Windows, except that
> it is currently the market leader on the desktop.

Translation: "Is too!  I believe it so it must be true!"

>> Please back up these claims.
>
> No need.  We are all familiar with UNIX here, and its security flaws have
> already been examined and explained in exhaustive detail by persons more
> expert than myself.

Translation: "Crap, I can't think of anything again."

>> Blantant inability to run the most popular viruses?
>
> The most popular viruses will always be the viruses that attack the most
> popular software.  Therefore, if UNIX were the leader on the desktop, the
> most popular viruses would be UNIX viruses.

Translation: "The fact that Windows is designed with usability in mind
    rather than security has nothing to do with the fact that it is less
    secure and more easily attacked.  It's all those vicious Windows
    haters out there that write viruses."

>> It was very tempting, a few months back, to
>> write code that would use one of the known
>> IIS exploits to install FreeBSD, Apache,
>> Front Page Extensions, and ASP services (under
>> Linux emulation) on any IIS server which had
>> not been patched ...
>
> Really?  Tempting to whom?
>
> I've never felt any temptation to vandalize computer systems or commit other
> crimes.

Translation: "I'm going to ignore the point of obvious lack of security
    and resort to attacking the morals of a person who made a moral decision
    to not commit an immoral act."