Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:36:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

John Baldwin writes:
;->On 11-Nov-99 Mike Meyer wrote:
;->> I still curse at regular intervals at the ports/packages collection
;->> installing things in /usr/local. That means I need another place for
;->> things that I maintain, instead of came with FreeBSD. Putting
;->> everything in /usr is one such solution. /opt is another (but having
;->> everything have it's own hierarchy pretty much sucks).
;->Try maintaining a lab of 40-80 identical machines.  Then imagine
;->distributing /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 via NFS.  Then you only have to
;->install the package on one machine to install it everywhere.  That
;->doesn't work when installed under /usr.  Are you enlightened yet?

Yes, but not about what you hoped. Back when I did that kind of thing,
I did a better job than that.  Let's see - off the top of my head,
I've network mounted /usr (the Linux solution to this problem), /opt
(the Solaris solution), and used rdist, rsync and perforce to do the
distribution.

The bottom line is that taking the name people have standardized on
for installing *local* packages and installing system-provided
packages there is a bad thing(TM). None of the solutions I used
suffered from that flaw.

	<mike