Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:27:08 +0300
From:      Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memtest86+ on freebsd

--wwtQuX191/I956S7

Andriy, good day.

Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:08:15PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 12/12/2008 13:17 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> > Just in case anybody still remembers this issue.
> > It seams that the main culprit here was the following line in the linker
> > script:
> >=20
> > OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-i386");
> >=20
> > I was tipped just today that it should have read:
> > OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-i386-freebsd", "elf32-i386-freebsd",
> > "elf32-i386-freebsd");
>=20
> In fact it was Stephan Eisvogel who provided me with this hint.

Yes, it is a somewhat known culprit.  A number of packages that are
messing with assembly code have troubles due to this directive.  The
better way to overcome this issue is not to patch linker scripts, but to
override object format via '--oformat elf32-i386-freebsd' command-line
switch to ld(1).  With this your proposed patch could be made even
smaller, providing that you can override linker command-line switches,
and it will be more robust in respect to the patching troubles when
linker scripts will be changed.
--=20
Eygene
 \`.|\..----...-'`   `-._.-'_.-'`   #  Remember that it is hard
 /  ' `         ,       __.--'      #  to read the on-line manual  =20
 )/' _/     \   `-_,   /            #  while single-stepping the kernel.
     _.-'_./   {_.'   ; /           #    -- FreeBSD Developers handbook=20

--wwtQuX191/I956S7

--wwtQuX191/I956S7--