Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 12:15:57 -0500
From:      "dan dockery" <danarchy@endeneu.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
Subject:   Re: 3.1-RELEASE not seeing all the RAM

> I have a 3.1-RELEASE box running, and it keeps
>running out of memory. The odd thing is 'dmesg'
>shows the machine having 16M of RAM, while
>BIOS shows 128M... The system is a PPro 200mHz
>running a GENERIC kernel. 'dmesg' output below.
>Are there any known issues as to why the kernel
>would not see all the RAM?

The first thing to do is grab the latest version of the BIOS from the
motherboard manufacturer.  If that doesn't help, I believe I've seen an
option in some BIOS's pertaining to a memory hole at 16M.  I'm not sure
if that would have any effect on FreeBSD, but it's also something to
look for.  Otherwise, you could recompile a kernel with MAXMEM set to
128.  From LINT:

# MAXMEM specifies the amount of RAM on the machine; if this is not
# specified, FreeBSD will first read the amount of memory from the CMOS
# RAM, so the amount of memory will initially be limited to 64MB or
16MB
# depending on the BIOS.  If the BIOS reports 64MB, a memory probe will
# then attempt to detect the installed amount of RAM.  If this probe
# fails to detect >64MB RAM you will have to use the MAXMEM option.
# The amount is in kilobytes, so for a machine with 128MB of RAM, it
would
# be 131072 (128 * 1024).

(the line to turn it on in this case would be)
options         "MAXMEM=(128*1024)

-Dan