Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:35:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        Costa Morris <costa@cortx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Random characters in 2.2.7

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Costa Morris wrote:

> any time i edit a file on the system and save, somehow random "U"'s
> get inserted on the first line of the file i was just in.  i'm using
> "pico" as my editor.  do you think it could be the editor or is it
> something more serious?

	This was a pico bug in pine 4.01 (brand-new release); they've
fixed it in 4.02. However, the FreeBSD ports have yet to catch up to 4.02.

	You can compile pine 4.02 yourself
(http://www.washington.edu/pine), or wait for the 4.02 port, or change the
version number in the 4.01 port, or install 3.96. :)

Brian