Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Cc:        nclayton@lehman.com, motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>

 * > That said, I won't object if your eventual goal will allow a
 * > per-language *default* in directory names.  For instance, if we can
 * > put "LANGSUBDIR ?= ja" in ja_JP.eucJP/Makefile to have all the
 * > Japanese documents install in the "ja" subdir by default (and have
 * > symlinks pointing to there from ja_JP.eucJP or whatever), that is fine
 * > for me.  Each language/territory can choose their own default (maybe
 * > most of them will just want it to be the same as the repository name,
 * > although I have a hunch that Mandarin folks will prefer "zh" or
 * > "zh_CN" -- but don't quote me on this) that makes the most sense to
 * > them.
 *
 * Yes.  I want to allow this flexibility.  In my mind, a sysadmin is likely
 * to want to install the docs in to a canonical location, and then symlink
 * to this location from other, possibly friendlier, directory names.

Yes, in your mind.  That's now how it works for people who deal with
Japanese.

 * As an admin myself, I'd want the canonical location to be as precise as
 * possible, and have the symlinks be less precise.  Which is why I'd suggest
 * the canonical location be 'ja_JP.eucJP' (or whatever) and the symlinks be
 * 'ja'.  Other admins (e.g., you) might want this reversed, and have the
 * canonical directory be 'ja', and the symlinks be things like 'ja_JP.eucJP'.
 *
 * I have no problem with this, and the arguments about which approach should
 * be the default (6 or 12 months down the line) are likely to more
 * entertaining than "vi vs. Emacs" :-)

Well, as long as you let the Japanese people decide what the default's
going to be for Japanese stuff, I'm fine. :)

Satoshi