Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:49:34 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! Server crashes since last cvsupdate!

> Since our last update Friday, 29th June, both SMP machines run
> into a "stuck" condition after a while. This happened now two times
> and I do not know what happens.

I've been seeing this effect since  4.3-RELEASE actually. WIth pretty much
identical symptoms to the ones you descibe. Asking here earlier people
seemed to think that it was the disc controllers getting locked up as this
will lead to the effects described. Sometimes the machine will run
for weeks at a time, sometimes it will freeze after a few hours. The
easiest way I can make it lockup is to try and access a very large
file from two processes at once.

I'm currently trying to find time to work out how to use the kernel
debugging stuff to connect over the network and see what  sort of
state the kernels in (which it is apparently posssible to do). But
not really got anywhere with that yet. I'd be intyerested in knowing
what sort of machine you have and what the components are to see if
theres anything that both systems have in common (other than the SMP bits).

cheers,

-pcf.