Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:34:30 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jilles Tjoelker <jilles+fbsd-standards@stack.nl>, freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH for a more-POSIX `ps', and related adventures

At 4:59 PM +0100 3/22/04, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 20, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>      Adds a `-R ruserlist' option, which is the same as what
>  >          SYSv3 describes for `-u' (we already have a `-u').
>
>SUSv3 says -u selects by effective uid and -U selects by real
>uid.  FreeBSD -U selects by effective uid and -u is something
>else totally.

Actually, the code I wrote is fine, it's just that I described
it wrong...  For now I'll add the -R so we have the additional
capability, and we can worry about -E vs -U vs -u vs POSIX at
a later date.

>  > [snip]
>>      Fixes interactions between all these "selector options",
>  >          & our `-x' option (which is not mentioned in SUSv3).
>
>Hmm, this means the user must add `-x' if `-U', `-s', etc. are
>used and he wants to see all matching processes. That's not good
>for writing scripts that should work on both Solaris and FreeBSD,
>for example. Also, `-U' used to imply `-x' on FreeBSD (it does
>not on NetBSD).
>
>I propose making it so that `-x' is implied when any selector
>except `-a' is used.

I have done this, and added the `-X' option that I talked about
to reverse `-x'.  The selector options (except -a and -p) will
set a "xkeep_implied" flag.  If neither `-X' nor '-x' are given,
then we use the "implied" flag.  If both are given, then we use
whichever one was given last.

Thanks for the feedback.  New update is in:
http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/ps-susv3.diff

This update does NOT add the new `-g' option, so it should be
true that this does not result in any incompatible change in
how `ps' works.  I will follow this with a separate (tiny)
update to replace the old `-g' with the new one, and a second
tiny update to change some of the warnings for `-U' to be
fatal errors.