Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:39:31 +0100
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   [retry]Re: Learning Assembly

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 03:18:23 +0100
From: Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 11 June 2000 at  0:51:56 +0200, Willem Brown wrote:

> >> I have programmed in Assembly for 20yr on all kinds of machines and
> >> just plain 'clumps of chips' called machines so I am not an expert. I
> >> have marked this for reading in the hope I get something from it.
> >>
> >> http://www.daemonnews.org/200006/assembly-intro.html
> >
> > I'm also going down that road, if I can find it. Anyways, I bought
> > "Assembly Language Step-by-Step" 2nd ed. by Jeff Duntemann.
> > ISBN 0-471-37523-3. It starts of with dos but does Linux assembly
> > as well. And he uses NASM for both dos and Linux.
>
> I don't know NASM (or is that nasm?), but I assume it uses Intel
> mnemonics.  This won't help you too much when reading FreeBSD
> assembly, which uses gas and the UNIX mnemonics (which, stupidly,
> don't correspond to the Intel mnemonics).  Take a look at
> /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/locore.s for an example.
>
> I wish I could point to a good document on assembly under FreeBSD, but
> unfortunately I don't know one.
>
> Greg
> --

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos <mlsr@mega.ist.utl.pt> make a good point
about the use of Assembly and UNIX that I had not thought of.

"I would remind you that programming assembly is totally
 system-dependent, so I don't think there is really a book
 like "Assembly Programming in the UNIX environment"...
 UNIX really was meant to be programmed in C."

Recall I (dutch) said most of my time was spent in "chip-land" of
bits&&bytes. So, I hunted through the book stack and dusted off,

   Advanced UNIX Programming
   Marc J. Rochkind
   copyright 1985, Prentice-Hall
   paperback ISBN: 0-13-011800-1
   other ISBN: 0-13-011818-4

[note: Marc J. Rochkind, Advanced Programming Institute, Ltd.
       Put the name in google and see what the result is.]
[note: Brian W. Kernighan, Advisor]

It starts with the *basics* and as far as I know it is not dated
material for learning. The book is about system calls using small
c examples. Good Luck.

-d