Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:52:18 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems recording sound in FreeBSD 5.1

Aloha!

I've tried to fathom how to record sound from the microphone. But so far
no success.

Hardware wise, I've got an Asus A7V8X motherboard with built in AC97
sound. Additionaly I've tried my old SB card (Not at the same time).
Both the built in AC97 device and the EMU10K device. For example:

<snip>
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xd400 irq 10 (4p/2r/0v channels duplex
default)
</snip>

This does mean that I have two record channels, one of which should be
the mic, correct?

I'm running FreeBSD 5.1 and KDE3.

However, no matter what tools I try to use, I don't get any sound input
at all. I have checked the mixer setting so that the mic should be enabled.

Is there ar simple way to directly verify that the mic input works? Has
anybody experienced similar problems? Anybody knows what might be the
problem?

I have checked the handbook and done some searches of archives as well
as Google. No luck however. Lots of info on sound output, but nothing on
recording.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson
Joachim Strömbergson - ASIC designer, nice to *cute* animals.
     snail:                  phone:                     mail & web:
Sävenäsgatan 5A        +46 31 - 27 98 47          watchman@ludd.luth.se
416 72 Göteborg        +46 733 75 97 02           www.ludd.luth.se/~watchman